Friday 10 July 2015

Attraction: Snorkel with the Salmon

Snorkelers enjoy a day out on the water with Destiny River Adventures
          Mental Floss magazine named it one of “The 12 Weirdest Experiences You Can Have in Canada”. Growing up in Campbell River, this didn’t really strike me as a “weird experience”, but I guess it might be a bit odd to those who aren’t used to it. Snorkeling with the Salmon has been covered by several different media outlets including the Rick Mercer Report and the Globe and Mail.
         In 2014, Globe and Mail reporter Alexandra Gill (what a fitting last name!) said this of the excursion:  “Slipping on my mask and snorkel, I dunk my face in the water. Arms stretched out in front of me – “like Superman,” as instructed – I float through the gentle current until the blurry glimmer sharpens into an aquatic bas-relief of whitish-pink bellies and scaly tails… Whoa! I really am snorkelling with salmon – thousands of them.” 

Action shot of the salmon in the Campbell River
          The attraction is offered by Destiny River Adventures, and is open to anyone between the ages of 5 and 95. It’s offered July 13th through September and is fairly affordable for such an unforgettable experience. For three hours, it’ll cost you $125 per adult and $115 per youth, taxes included. 

No comments:

Post a Comment